Sunday, June 27, 2010

Oh My Gosh, There's A World Outside The Farm!!

It was so nice to get away this weekend with my mama, and she still holds the title of best mom ever in my book, even though we like to give her crap.

I left work early (4pm) on Saturday and drove down to St. Cloud, jamming and singing along to music the whole way, which made me feel a lot better about things in general. Of course, I had to have the windows down the whole way because of the sour milk smell, but I didn't mind. It was just so great to be FREE!!!!

That's something I need to remember here. I've "loosed myself from limits and imaginary lines," and setting up invisible walls for myself and getting run down by work has stifled my mental freedom lately. It's great to know that the world is still out there, ready to be explored, and that even if I am here and I might not like some of it, I'm still free in my own mind. I think some former president said something along the same lines, but I don't remember which one. Maybe Lincoln.

ANYWAY, mom and I flopped at the hotel for a bit, and then went out for Chipotle and a nice talk, and then to Barnes and Nobel to look at books and get our internet on. I bought three books, despite not having much money, because I'm quickly running out of things to read here at the farm. So here are the new books!
-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
-Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman
-Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

And then we went back to the hotel for bed, as I was exhausted.

This morning I got to sleep in until I woke up by myself at about 9:45, just in time to watch the England v. Germany match, only to see my wonderful Three Lions lose! It was pretty darn heartbreaking.

To get over this terrible defeat, I took a long hot shower (oh my gosh, water that stays hot instead of fluctuating to ice cold every few seconds! And that comes out of the shower head in a nice spray!) which was just fantastic, and then we went out to breakfast where I got whole wheat french toast.

Then back to Barnes and Nobel to look up some job possibilities and be tempted by a nap in a sun-drenched comfy chair. For a late lunch we went to Red Lobster and I got somewhat local Walleye from the Great Lakes. And those delicious cheddar biscuits!

And then I hugged mom goodbye and drove back to the farm on as many back-road scenic highways as I could find and marveled at the beauty of Minnesota lake country. It's so pretty up here. There's a lake among rolling hills and birch trees not more than 20 minutes from here that I may go spend some time at if I'm ever not too exhausted.

So overall it was a great weekend-day thanks to my mommy, great food, long sleep, gorgeous country, and good music. Thanks, world!

2 comments:

Knotaen said...

No way--that Pirsig book was one that came up in Norway a few times! My friend Erik read it when he was in high school and thought it was awesome! He even told me about a really neat quote that was in it--I can't recall it now, but it really touched a chord in me at the time. Enjoy and let me know what you think of it!

Mad3lyn said...

ALISON. I would like to borrow all those books when you're done with them, and I can give you probably a zillion to read if you want more. For freeeeee.


I've been hearing stories through parents about your situation. I will give you a response in code:

Sorry the mice have been drinking coffee in secret, though they were said to be reputable tea drinkers. All the kittens will make the right choices, even the ones with exotic stripes. Owl says it's a learning experience anyway.

Love from the city,
Madelyn