Friday, June 11, 2010

Some Thoughts

I'd like to write a more structured post, but right now I'm just so tired I think I'll just bullet point some things I've been thinking lately.

- I'm beginning to understand why so many farmers became enamored of technology! There's so much work to do, and it's all a pain in the knees, back, feet, neck, arms and legs. I've become constantly physically exhausted and sore, and even though that sounds terrible it actually isn't that bad when you look back down the rows in the field and see what you've done. The work is worth it, but it's really HARD work, and I've been learning sympathy for farmers who've taken the easy way out with herbicides and pesticides, even though I wouldn't do those things myself.

-Our last crew member showed up tonight, her name is Samantha, and I took an immediate dislike to her that I can't figure out. It's strange how you can have a connection with someone, or have the instinct to steer clear of someone, even without talking to them much. For instance, I feel like Ramon and I share some kind of secret language even without talking. We always smile at the same things and seem to communicate more when we're not faced with a language barrier. On the other hand, Sam just exudes something that I don't really like, and I can't put my finger on it. I'm trying to get over it and just act normal, but she puts my shields up at full force for some reason, which is strange because she's very friendly and outgoing and generally cheerful. It's a mystery.
And if ANYONE can tell you about mystery, it's Hugh Laurie.

-I saw my first bluebird at Bluebird Gardens the other day! It was really pretty! I also saw another bird this morning that I remember seeing in the bird book when I was younger. I think it was called a "ruby-throated" something or other, but it isn't a humming bird. It had a seed eater beak and a splotch of bright red on it's throat.

-In other animal news, we're getting pigs next week! I know, mom, it's not cool. But they'll be cute little piglets for a while! Just like Wilbur! I'm going to be the female version of Lurvey the hired man! Now if only we could get a goose to come live next to them and say "probably-abably-abably!"

-The Bluebird Gang (me included) is heading to Duluth this weekend! Bill's family lives there, and Jenny's house is on the way, so we're gonna take a nice little road trip through northern Minnesota. It'll be fun, I think! We're leaving around noon tomorrow and coming back Sunday night.

-I have despaired of ever getting clean again. My hands are now permanently stained earth colors.

-I think I've come to realize (yes, it's only been a week, so this might change) that I'm an animal farmer. I just don't have the enthusiasm for vegetables and plants. I realized yesterday as we were piled on one of the fourwheelers coming back from the beets, that I was so excited about the long grass in the ditches that could be turned into hay, but not really at all interested in the beets. I would much rather work with the frustrating chickens than tie up tomato plants. For now, that's just the way it is. But I think this is a valuable insight! We'll see how I feel after we have to butcher the pigs and chickens.

-You know a plant that IS great, though?? Clover. Clover can be used as a cover crop, putting nitrogen back in the soil, or you can plow it under for green fertilizer, or you can cut it for hay or mulch, or you can let chickens into it to eat, or you can just leave it out there to grow and the honey bees will love you forever! We were working out in a field that has clover in it as a cover crop and the honey bees were thick as flies! It was great to see so many bees going about life despite Colony Collapse Disorder, and knowing that they're all going back to a hive out in the woods to make honey. I love bees. And clover.


Well, I'd better head off to bed. We're starting at 6am every day now, and that means a twelve hour work day. But not tomorrow, 'cause we're getting off at noon to head to Duluth! Yay!!

1 comment:

Knotaen said...

Oh, you and your "frustrating chickens". ;)