Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Uffda.

Today was a tough-y, as grandpa Milt would say.

We got up at 5:30 and started work at 6 so we could get the truck with the CSA orders out before 9, which we successfully did despite having to harvest a bunch more mixed lettuce and romaine at the last minute. Compared to last Tuesday (the first day of the CSA, which was total chaos) today ran like clockwork, but it still meant lots of being wet all day, heaving through ankle-deep mud in the fields, and lifting and loading and dumping various heavy boxes of produce. I am exhausted. I actually fell asleep on the couch in the boy's house waiting for dinner (which was a Peruvian dish made by Ramon! Delicious!).

Last night was my night to cook and I made spinach lasagna with fresh spinach and from-scratch noodles thanks to my pasta machine! It was a big hit with everyone, and I'm proud that I got the recipe, which I got from Dita, right on my own, having never made it without her before. For my next meal I'm gonna try making Mom's stroganoff recipe if I can call her sometime this week to ask for it. Having communal meals is so much fun because you try things you might never have tried before, and we bring together diverse recipes from our different families. It's challenging me to look back into my memory and find the dishes that I always loved so I can make them for other people.

Bummer news of the day - something (probably a mosquito) bit me right above my eye below my eyebrow, and it's swelled up so that I feel like Quasimodo, even though it's hardly noticeable to other people. Ow.

Good news of the day - I bought bug spray that I actually like! It's called OFF Smooth and Dry, and it isn't oily, and it smells like flowers! I have no idea how it can smell so good and still work, but work it does, and I didn't get eaten as bad today.

Really, things are good right now, and there are only a few things that would make it perfect:
-Seeing my mommy (I miss you, mama!)
-Getting a bit more sleep
-Having time and space to do yoga

But I'm not dwelling on that stuff too much. Overall I love my job, I'm working with cool people, I'm eating well and working hard. And I'm reading a lot, as we interns generally shun TV and such things here. I've already finished two books in the last few days! Life is simple and good.

1 comment:

The Mommy said...

I love you and miss you too! I'd like to come see the farm (and you) - let's figure something out. I assume a weekend is better since you have Sundays off.

I'll email you the stroganoff recipe!

Lots of hugs & kisses.