Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sleepy Time

I sit down at night and want to write all about my farm days, but I'm just too exhausted to make any coherent sense!

So here are the most important details as of late:

-I convinced Mark that the industrial Cornish Cross chickens we have right now are worthless and WAY more trouble than they're worth, and so we've ordered new, more sustainable, heritage chickens for our next batch in July! I feel very proud of this accomplishment.

-We rescued six industrially raised northern white pigs from a life in cages on concrete and brought them to a big fenced yard under a shade tree where they can rut in the dirt, eat fresh vegetables, run about and play, and they're so happy! Bill, Stu, Jenny and I just sat watching them frolic around for about an hour yesterday. They didn't even know what to do with dirt at first, 'cause they'd never been outside before! They're gonna make great use of our wilted veggies and chicken guts, and will eventually become bacon, but for now they're pretty darn cute.

-There are daily discomforts and victories, but overall I feel good about the work I'm doing here. It's hard and tiring, but I'm happy, and this weekend Dad and Maddie and Julia are coming to visit, and then all of us interns are going to have a Solstice party with a big bonfire on Sunday night, so I'm excited for that. Things are going well, and even though I miss home sometimes, I'm having increasingly more "this is where I'm supposed to be" type moments.

But now it's getting late, and I've gotta go to bed. I hope everyone's doing well! Comment and let me know what's up in your part of the world!

1 comment:

Mad3lyn said...

you want anything from the house? OR NORTHFIELD? CALL ME UP OR SOMETHING we leave in the AM on Saturday