Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sweet Happenings

I finally got my computer cord and phone charger back after leaving them in Northfield! Lyss was awesome enough to come bring them back to me today, and we spend part of the afternoon wandering about campus sipping Jamba. I'm lucky to have such cool people in my life. : )

It's only Tuesday and this week has already been tiring. Every night around ten or eleven I begin to feel like I could lie down and sleep for innumerable days, but, unfortunately, I don't think the University would understand.

And yes, Mom, before you even comment on my tired-ness, I AM getting enough iron, calcium and vitamin C!! Actually, my eating habbits have gotten both better and worse since I've been here. On the one hand I now have a salad of spinach and romaine lettuce with just about every meal, and I've won my battle with portion control (it's just so nice to have SO MUCH FOOD around, I can barely choose!!) now that the U is trayless. On the other hand, I now have access to so many yummy desserts, I must admit that I have one with lunch and dinner more often than not.

Classes go along as usual, and I'm beginning to give in to the reality that I can read through every Animal and Society class without missing a single thing. It's nice, really, once you get over the "why am I here?" reaction. I'm probably getting more out of the class that the people who listen to the "lecture" since I use the time to scour the textbook.

I now have everything that I listen in my previous posts! Some of it was brought from home, some bought at the bookstore, and yesterday I made a valliant four mile trek to the nearest Target on my bike to seccure the rest. It's a nice Target, as they go, and it has a pharmacy, which will make getting my meds a bit easier.

And speaking of meds, my alergy pills are almost gone. I only take it when I need to in order to function, but I'm going to have to keep taking them until it starts snowing, so I'll need a refil. Problem is, refils are expensive. Possible help with this, parents?

Guess what I saw yesterday??
I was walking to my Animal Products class, and as I passed one of the open quad spaces I saw two people with giant gloves on, which naturally made me curious. One looked like she was holding a fishing reel, and the other would walk to the end of the line and pick up something that looked at first like a bunch of rags (I was quite far away...), until the second woman picked it up, and it began to flap it's wings. They were training an owl to fly! As I stood and watched I saw another pair of people with a young red-tail hawk doing the same thing a bit farther away. They'd throw the bird, who was attached to the line, up into the air and it would flap a few times to get some height, and then glide slowly down to the grass.
SO COOL!
I wanted to walk down and yell "CAN I TRY???!!!" but I thought that might be bad, since it would frighten the birds.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed, I think.
Night, all.

4 comments:

Steven said...

Yes, I'm having that exhuasted feeling in the evenings too. Allergies. Yes, get the meds and let me know amount. Really glad that you like the U of M-St.Paul. Its in a great part of the city. Which Target do you go to? Is there one in the Midway on University Ave.? Were the people with the owl from the Rapture Center? I tried to spot that building when I was there the other day. Must be close to you.

Steven said...

I meant Raptor Center. :-)

Mad3lyn said...

coooool BIRDS

Alison said...

Ahaha, dad! RAPTURE center??!!!

:-D