Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nearly Done With The First Week

Hello, all!

I just came in from a random s'more party out on the front lawn, which was tasty.

Classes are all pretty interesting, and the only one I'm really worried about is my Animal Products class. On the first day the professor informed us that if we didn't eat meat we'd have a hard time, and furthermore we're going to be watching three slaughter videos (steers, pigs and lambs), and basically said that if we couldn't handle this without turning vegetarian, we were pussies.

He's from rural Tennissee. Enough said.

My Rise of Civilization class is going to be a challenge, if only because my prof is an archeologist and not a social anthropologist. But, thankfully I took Physical Anthro last semester, so I should be able to handle it. I'm excited to learn about all these ancient places and their artifacts!

My Crops class was much better today than last Tuesday because we finally started talking about CROPS instead of getting mistaken facts and dates from the prof about the fertile crescent. I have to give him props for his knowledge. Of crops.
Today we talked about corn, and I learned quite a few things I didn't know before. Hilariously, one time a week when we discuss a specific crop the prof brings in foods made from the aformentioned grain. Today we had corn chips, Cheetos, several kinds of pop and Hi-C, all of which grossed me out with their high levels of high fructose corn syrup. I felt a bit smug when he pointed at my Odwalla juice and asked me what kind of sugar I had in my drink and I got to reply "less than 1% cane sugar." Good times being healthy.

My Geography and Public Policy class is daunting, what with my having rudimentary (at best) knowlege of the federal system, but my professor's from ENGLAND, and GET THIS!! His name is RODERICK!!! Like Spode!!
Anyway, in this class I have to write a large paper, but it's spread out over the whole semester, so it should be fine, and quite informative. I think I'm going to write about public policy regarding free-range poultry. We'll see.

My Animals and Society class (which IS a 101 class, after all) is going to be a piece of cake. I don't expect it to take up much of my time, but the prof knows what he's talking about, and the text book is so interesting I'd pretty much read it on my own anyway. Good times!

I like school here!!!

My roommate is really nice, and we get along well. She plays videogames too, and loves Kingdom Hearts, which is my new game, so we sit around and play that and FIFA Soccer. She also knows the people across the hall, so I feel like I'm connected with other humans since we have our door open whenever we're in the room. And I eat with her, since we have the same meal times, for the most part, so I only eat alone when I feel like it, which hasn't been the case elsewhere (pathetic, I know).
There's stuff to do (last night I went and saw Iron Man!), and stuff to eat (ALWAYS in the mood for Jamba Juice), and classes are fun and interesting. Overall, I just like the feel of this place. I can see myself staying here until I graduate.

But I'm still glad I'm coming home for Jesse James Days tomorrow. :-)

1 comment:

Mad3lyn said...

I WISH THAT I COULD COME HOME FOR DJJD