Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mexico: Parte Tres

Well, there's no way I'm going to be able to update day by day, or even week by week, so here's an update of life organized by topic. :-)

Health:
I'm sick. Have been since New Year's. I woke up New Year's morning with a terrible stomach ache that's come and gone for the past two weeks. At first I thought it was because I'd had too much to drink New Year's Eve. Then I thought it was because I'd accidentally drank some unpurified water. Then I thought it was because I'd eaten something weird. Long story short, last weekend was the final straw and I went to see the school doctor yesterday and asked for some long overdue help. He prescribed antibiotics and pain meds for my tummy, and now I'm feeling a lot better as long as I remember to pop my pills on time. Those of you who know how I hate taking medicine will understand the severity of this two week long stomach pain that caused me to go get help. Yuck.
So now my stomach is much better, but because of this ten-year-record-breaking cold snap that appears to be worldwide (or at least in the Western Hemisphere), I now have a cold. Greta got it first, then Kyle, then Jackie, and now Jackie is getting over it and I've got it. Blech. It all comes of having classes outdoors in 45 degree weather. Comparatively, I've got it better than those back home in Minnesota, but they've got heat! There's no heating in Mexico! We shiver our way through classes for hours starting at 8:30! It's rather miserable. This morning I wore five layers and every long sleeve thing I brought with me.
Anyway, enough complaining! I'm in Mexico and it's cool!

Travel:
The two major excursions we've made in the last two weeks are to Teotihuacan and to Acapulco. Teotihuacan was amazing, and if you want to know more about the history you'll have to ask me when I get home. We took a sweet tour of the place (it's the oldest city in the New World, built before the Mayans by a people simply called the Teotihuacans who we don't know much about), and then climbed part way up the Pyramid of the Moon, and then all the way up the Pyramid of the Sun. Here are a few pictures!



That was the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd. Last weekend, the 9th and 10th, pretty much everyone in the Minnesota group went to Acapulco. We bought bus tickets and headed out Friday right after classes, reaching Acapulco around 8pm in the middle of a record-breaking rainstorm which flooded all the streets. Jackie, Greta, Kyle and I had decided to wing it and not make any hotel reservations because we weren't sure where we wanted to stay, but when we saw the way it was coming down we decided to follow part of the Minnesota group who was going to a hotel called the Calinda Beach. We took a cab through the streets, floating more than driving, and arrived at the hotel soaking wet. At first the guy at the desk attempted to swindle us out of a bit more money than we were prepared to pay, but after walking away to talk about it in private three times they brought the price down and we ended up getting better rate than the people that had pre-booked! We payed 24 American dollars per person for two nights! A heck of a deal. Here's the view from our deck.


But now I've gotta run! Greta and I are off to do some studying, but I'll be posting more about Acapulco soon!

4 comments:

Steven said...

I had no idea you were sick. :-( Why didn't you mention it when we talked? Glad you got some help. Please try to call me tomorrow. Great deal on the hotel ! Looks nice.

Alison said...

I didn't want to worry anybody so I didn't really let anyone at home know I was sick. But I figured since I have it figured out now it was ok to complain a little bit. :-)
I'll try to be on Skype tomorrow after lunch (between 2:30 and 3:30) if you want to talk.

Mad3lyn said...

"Attention, New York City: Beverly Leslie is a homosexual. I repeat, Beverly Leslie is a homosexual."

Alison said...

I MISS WILL AND GRACE.

Maddie, we're getting seasons from Netflix when I get home.