Tuesday, February 1, 2011

First Impressions

Alright, here's a quick list of impressions/discoveries/thoughts just to get something down on paper (so to speak):

-I didn't think I was too jet lagged until I started feeling weak and dizzy. Probably from lack of sleep, but just in case I had a hamburger from BurgerFuel, which is a prized Kiwi institution! They put weird stuff on them, like eggs and beets. Quite good, though!
-I've been to orientation for my program already, even though I was planning to go on Friday. That's what happens when you get to your hostel at 9am and they won't let you check in 'till 1!
-The plane ride over didn't feel as long as I expected. I watched two programs on New Zealand agriculture, watched 127 Hours (which was pretty good), fell asleep for either 4 or 5 hours (don't know which, the time changes got confusing), woke up and spent the last 2.5 hours looking expectantly out the window. Here's an excerpt from my journal entry I wrote on the plane:
"At LAX we taxied for just about an age, and then we shot out over the Pacific like a cannon ball. Dinner was tortellini, breakfast was fruit and a muffin...I've had two quick moments of panic ABOUT panicking, but they passed quickly. Just before sunrise the sky was bluer than I've ever seen it. I've never seen the ocean this color either, as the Atlantic was always pretty grey. As the sky starts to turn pink and the sun casts rainbows over the wings, I begin my first day in the southern hemisphere..."
-People have GREAT expressions here. It's like everyone's language got stuck in late 1800's British. On the bus I heard someone use the expression "I'm quite chuffed about it." It was awesome. Also, the Kiwi's constantly say "sweet as!" which just means "cool," but it's hilarious when you first hear it because you pause, waiting for the rest of the metaphor.
-I had a terrifying moment where I thought I'd lost my new iPod, but it turned out have somehow fallen to the back of my pack. It was an awful moment.
-I already have a million ideas of where I want to go and what I want to see, and I'm starting NOW! ...ish. Today I signed in for my tax number (the Kiwi ss #), I'm going to open a bank account, and I got a free Vodafone SIM card from a very nice German girl at the airport who was leaving, so I'm gonna activate that. Tomorrow (provided I feel ok) I plan on spending the day checking out Waiheke island, and then on Friday I'm going on the free trip around Auckland, which includes a walk up the huge bridge to a bungy jumping point high above the city! Obviously, I will not be jumping.
-The Kiwi's are a bit behind on internet tech. Wireless is rather scarce, and when you do find it you have to pay for it, or it's very spotty. Right now I'm on at the IEP office (the sponsor of my BUNAC program) and the signal's going in and out. We also apparently have wireless in the lounge of the hostel, but I haven't tried it yet.
-Some newfound facts about NZ: They have the highest concentration of birds to humans in the world; there's a giant hole in the ozone above the islands so the sun can kill you (literally, the rate of skin cancer here is highest in the world. Way to go, polluting countries *cough*US*cough*); being on a "Tiki Tour" means that you're wandering about without any real plan; gas costs $0.52 per gallon!
-I regret not taking a pair of shorts with me. It's hot here!
-Everyone wears sundresses, board shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (which they call "jandels"). My kind of country!

Anyway, that's enough of that. I'm doing well (despite being jet-lagged. Sorry if this post is totally nonsensical) and I'm happy and excited to be here! It probably won't seem real until I wake up tomorrow morning and I'm still here!

Until later!
Hei konā rā! (goodbye)

No comments: