Thursday, February 24, 2011

Possibilities

2-25

Woo today has been a good day! I swear, when you just open up to possibilities and tell the universe what you want and trust that there’s Someone up there looking out for you, things start to happen.

Granted, I’m counting my chickens before I cross the bridge, or however the Nesses mangle that saying, but I’m feeling good about things, and here’s why.

Remember that guy I met in the coffee shop where I had breakfast last Sunday? Well I went back there for lunch today because I had the day off and decided to spend the day in town. I went back for lunch and he remembered me and we talked a bit as he made me my fish and chips, which is my favorite meal when I’m in British-type countries. He said that he’d be glad to introduce me to one of the farmers he knew, and if I came back at four o’clock he’d drive me out to the farm so I could see the place. I’m still not used to people being so friendly, and so I’m cautious of even good-hearted intentions like his seemed to be, but I said ‘what the heck’ and decided to give it a shot. He asked me what my name was, as we hadn’t properly introduced ourselves before, and I told him and he said his name was Cor, and that he’s from the Netherlands, which we talked about for a bit.

So I spent the afternoon at the library catching up with the family via Skype, and then came back at 4pm as Cor was closing up the place. He’d been talking about how he had three business ventures in New Zealand since he came several years ago, and I figured one was the cafĂ©, one was his dairy farm, and he asked if I wanted to see the third one since that was where his car was parked anyway. Turns out the third thing he does is build coffins! I was slightly creeped out at first, I’ll admit. I immediately thought “Lyss would love this guy. A Scandinavian farmer who builds coffins.” They were beautiful, though, and made of all kinds of wood, and in all sizes. Anyway, after I’d ooed and ahed a bit we took off down the road from Dannevirke towards Palmerston North and went for about ten minutes before coming to the milking parlor. As we drove Cor told me that the farmer owned two farms; this one and one near Woodville, and that one of his men had given his two weeks notice recently and another had just had an accident with a truck gate falling on his foot (don’t worry, the labor union was there and decided the farm had no fault in the matter, it was just bad luck), so they needed an extra pair of hands. I met the farmer’s wife first, who was doing the afternoon milking, and we talked a bit about what they needed and what I needed, and then we exchanged numbers. She seems very nice and capable and I said I’d call her in a few days as soon as I knew what my last day at PMS would be. Next I met her husband who was mixing feed for the cows (the cows graze year round but are supplemented with things like coconut oil husks and grape skins from the vineyards) and we talked for about five seconds as he was really busy, and he said that he wanted to talk more to see if we were a good fit, as he didn’t want me coming somewhere I’d be unhappy and they couldn’t afford to hire someone without decent knowledge of farms and such, and so I said again that I’d call in a few days and we’d talk some more, but that I was looking for something temporary and that provided housing and would be glad to give them a hand.

And then Cor drove me back to town and we talked about how he’d lived in Bolivia for a while, and how he’d been an ambassador there for the Netherlands, and about cows and farming and all kinds of things. When we got back I said I’d most likely see him on Sunday morning for breakfast again, and he said that would be just fine, and I should see if I could bring Rodrigo around to speak Spanish with him sometime, and I said I would.

All in all, a very successful day, I think. Granted, I don’t have the job yet, or even know if it’s the RIGHT job, but I feel like these kinds of things fall into your lap for a reason, and there are too many good coincidences happening for them to be coincidences. It sounds like a door opening, to me, and I think I’m gonna put my best foot forward and see what happens. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Mad3lyn said...

SUPER COOL! <3 <3 <3