Monday, March 8, 2010

My Doggy Twitches In Her Sleep And My Sister Sings Loudly

Dude, things are progressing at a slow pace.

I have a dog now, as can be attested to by Maddie's blog and numerous pictures, and that's spicing up life a little bit, but I'm still W....A....I...T...I...N...G for more exciting things, like graduation and my new job!

ONLY 9 WEEKS AND 4 DAYS TO GO!!!!

And in that nine weeks I have to write my 20-30 page senior thesis on the destruction of farming and the American countryside by Big Corn, which I haven't started yet, although I have the sources. I'm just so OVERWHELMED by it! I made the mistake of saying in my prospectus that

"As a student of anthropology and agriculture I have learned that the number of acres planted to corn in the United States has grown exponentially over the last fifty years, and that while the average size of farming enterprises in the Corn Belt has grown, the number of farms has dropped, and that this has created many changes in the life of the modern American farmer. In this paper I seek to find the reasons behind these changes, determine whether these changes have been helpful or detrimental to the Corn Belt, and if they prove to be harmful I intend to put forth a solution for a better rural America in the years to come."

SOOOOOOO basically I have to come up with a pretty awesome answer to the problem of the disappearing small farm. Way to bite off more than you can chew, Hathan.

Meanwhile, though, I'm having fun volunteering at St. Martin's Table, which I like to describe as a hippy Christian bookstore cum local food restaurant in my free time on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I work for between three and five hours serving tables and all the tips and part of the proceeds go to charity, and I get a delicious from-scratch free lunch to boot! WHAT A DEAL as my father and grandfather would say.

So, yes. Stress about my thesis, volunteering, dog, general boredom....what else?

OH!!

SPRING BREAK IS NEXT WEEK! I'd totally forgotten, but a blessed week of hanging out at home is nearly upon us! I think I might take a day or two to go check out Bluebird Gardens and meet my new boss, but we'll have to see.

So that's about all the news for now. Except that Maddie is recording a lot of music in our house lately, and it all sounds awesome. If you have a chance to hear her and Jordan Taylor together, DO IT. They've recorded a few originals, and I like what I've heard.

Later days!

No comments: