Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm Sorry That I'm Not Showered In These Pictures, But I Had To Show You My Doughnuts


Hey guess what?? I made doughnuts from scratch today!

Here's the set up:
I stayed up until 1am last night helping Maddie study for a test she had this morning, so I was really tired. Thankfully I woke up for my 8 o'clock class, but then came home and fell asleep and slept through my afternoon classes. Go figure.
So since I didn't have anything I needed to do right then, I thought I'd make doughnuts, 'cause I've been thinking about it since last weekend.
I've been re-reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder again (I read it every fall/winter) and I got to the part where Almanzo's mom makes doughnuts, and it talks about how fresh apples and homemade doughnuts were pretty much the backbone of the fall foods on the American frontier.
So I thought, DUDE, I SHOULD MAKE DOUGHNUTS 'CAUSE I HAVE FRESH APPLES THAT I PICKED FROM AN ORCHARD AND THEY'D GO PERFECTLY WITH DOUGHNUTS.

So I found the recipe from the Little House Cookbook and I got all the ingredients when Maddie and I went to the store yesterday, and this afternoon I turned out about three dozen cute little whole wheat doughnuts, and they're delicious.

Granted, this being my first attempt at doughnut creation, I messed up a few things. First, I learned that it's a LOT easier to do with two people so you can have one twisting the dough and one flipping them in the oil. Because it was just me I burned a few. And also, I learned that you have to have the oil at the EXACT right temperature, because if it's too cool it won't cook the doughnuts in the right way (they feel spongey), and if it's too fast the outside gets done before the inside and they have mushy innards.

But most of them turned out, and now we have apples and doughnuts, and it makes me super happy.

I'm gonna try again next week and see if I can do better!

No comments: