Monday, October 27, 2008

I Miss High School Sometimes.

It's not that I miss high school itself (I wouldn't go back if someone paid me), but there were some really good times, and I find myself thinking of it as "back when I was a teenager," which is pretty weird.

I miss not having a driver's license and walking all over town. Right now I miss walking over that hill by Sibley back when we rode the bus. Back when I wore my headphones everywhere, even in class, and thought I was pretty punk rock. I miss painting my fingernails black, and seeing that Wes, Dita and Ben had all done it too. I miss writing terrible poetry in study hall.

I miss Ken!! He called me late last night so I didn't answer, but miss hanging out with him. He's my doppelganger. I've always seen him as the way I might have turned out if I'd been basically ditched by my family when I was young. We used to have some sweet times back in the day. I miss the days when it was me and Wes, Dita and Ben, and Ken and Angie. We used to stand around playing pool for hours and listening to Nirvana, Green Day and Blink 182.

It's funny now seeing the kids in freshman and sophomore year, including Julia, being at the age I was when all this was happening. They seem so young. I was only 14 during that crazy first high school summer with all the friend drama. I remember feeling so old, but I wasn't even sixteen!

Obviously I'll be saying all this again in five years, about how much I miss the "good old days," but I just had a sudden attack of nostalgia.

I guess I would go back, for maybe a day, as long as I could get out of the homework.

No comments: