Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A New Job? And New Music!

So I'm doing a phone interview with Heifer International on Thursday! I applied for a job as a Ranch Livestock Volunteer, which basically means I help the livestock coordinator care for the tons of animals that Heifer will eventually be sending overseas. Check out this kickin' description of the things I'd do/learn:

1. Basic needs, behavior patterns, and how to work with animals.
2. Diagnose and treat sick animals. Determine intestinal parasite loads by fecal flotation. Basic health management of livestock.
3. Basic livestock production principles.
4. Pasture management (fertilization, liming, planting, rotational grazing, etc.)
5. Repair and build electric and non-electric fences. Operate a limited amount of farm equipment. Basic farm type repairs.
7. Teach visitors about the use of farm animals and their importance in developing countries.
8. New techniques in small-scale farm enterprises.

Anyway, they need someone starting in December, and working in this position for three to six months, and then I could extend the time in the job or find another job higher up in the organization, and it would just generally be kick-ass to get this much experience with animals on my resume, and to have it with HEIFER.......would be just too cool. Everyone loves Heifer. And while I'm there I get a room at the ranch, noon meals 7 days a week, and a stipend for the rest of my living expenses. In short, I won't be making much money at all, but I need the experience and it's a great resume builder.

So, I'll try not to count my chickens before they're hatched. I think I can get this job, but I don't want to get too excited.

In the meantime, I've decided that unless something long-term comes up (like this job, but it wouldn't start 'till December anyway), I'm going to get a job around the Northfield area just to make some serious cash if I can, and the minute I hit six thousand dollars in my savings account, I'M JETTING TO NEW ZEALAND. I'm getting progressively more excited about the possibility of going there. But I require money first.

So if anyone hears of any jobs anywhere in Northfield, FOR GODSSAKE LET ME KNOW!!!

But in the meantime, check out this awesome new collaboration! They're called My Terrible Friend, and it's made up of the lead singer from the band Pomplamoose and Lauren O'Connell, who may be one of my new favorite musicians, period. Listen and smile.

EDIT: Ok, I think I might just love Lauren. She's SO GREAT. Just WATCH this, will you???
Oh Death - Lauren O'Connoll

No comments: