Monday, September 20, 2010

Eulogy For Our Dog

Cricket was our first family pet. Before her I remember having goldfish that lived in a bowl in the bathroom, and which we killed one after the other with frightening accuracy. But they didn't count.
From the moment we saw her, shivering and scared, huddled in the back of her kennel in the kitchen, we were in love. She'd flown all the way from Chicago for us, and when she finally did become comfortable in our home she was the object of much attention (as well as the subject of much arguement). Maddie and Julia and I all wanted to train her, to play with her, to teach her tricks, but the only two things she got really good at were shaking hands and barking when we said "speak!" No luck with sit, stay, come, or lie down commands ninety-nine percent of the time. She loved to run like crazy the minute we let her off the leash or out of arms length, to sleep curled up in the sun (or on any soft and kooshy surface), and to pace like some kind of sad tiger when she didn't know what else to do.
People always commented on how skinny she was, but to us she was perfect. Even though she had the sad eyes of a hound, we always knew when she was happy because of her perked ears and happy howl. I'll still howl for you when I come in the door, Crick.
But because our family split apart a few years after her arrival, she became more than just a dog to each one of us, I think. To my sisters and I, or at least to me, Crick became a protector and comforter, much like Nana in Peter Pan. She knew how to make us feel better when we were sad or sick by sitting next to us and letting us know we'd be ok. I cried into her short white fur on more than one occasion during the divorce and let her know in no uncertain terms that I was mad about the whole situation. She would lick my face and tell me that it didn't matter, and that she loved me anyway.
Even now, when we've all mostly healed from the turmoil, she was able to bring us together one last time to say goodbye. Dad and I drove together and carried her into the vet's. The five of us; Dad, Mom, me, Julia, and Maddie who was there in spirit, all cried together and as we stood there I was so grateful to our little Cricky dog for gluing us together even after we were broken.
Thank you, Crick, for being such a sweet presence in our life. Thank you for comforting us, keeping us company, getting us outside, bringing us together, taking care of us, and for shedding all over the furniture, peeing on the rugs, keeping us up at night with your howling, digging holes in the backyard, and for loving us to pieces, unconditionally.
We're going to be ok, but we will always miss you.

3 comments:

Steven said...

Thanks for writing this Alison. Think I'll leave the holes in the back yard. :-) We sure will miss Crickie. Most especially her sweet disposition !

Knotaen said...

Much love, Cricky. I'll miss your cute voice, watching you and Alice interact ("Ow woo woooo!"), your crick-y tail, and hanging out with you in cars. I've never met a more serene, yet eager to please, dog.

Favorite stories about you:
- The time that Alice called and left a message on my cellphone this past spring, telling me about how she had awakened in the St. Paul apartment that morning to find you up on her bed, snuggled beside her, with your face just inches from her own, looking back at her.
- Your well-timed "hffff!"s when Alice would be musing about how difficult her life could be (either semi-seriously or jokingly, but whichever the case, you were never properly impressed by her assessment).
- The time you visited my family at Maga's house and freaked my kitties out. I know you didn't mean to scare them (exactly...), but Kiki and Blackie just watched you intently the whole time from the top of the china cabinet.
- Your cute prim'n'proper ways of behavior when you met Gabe's 'Renzo. You were always so polite and delicate--a sweet, "old lady" dog.
- Your sweaters!! You were so well-dressed!

You were--are--a much beloved Whippet-good. Thanks for taking such good care of Alice and her family. Sleep sweet, Cricket.

Mad3lyn said...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah