Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Feeling Good

Hello, everyone!

I haven't posted in a while! Here's a quicky: OneRepublic rocked SO hardcore, and they signed my stuff and I got to talk to them. They rock. Halloween at Gabe's house was a perfect time, and in fact, the whole weekend hanging with Gabe, Beth and Lyss (of course!) was awesome. I've recently gotten into baking, and I've made a TON of yummy things in the last 7 days. I've eaten Chipotle, I've had fun dressing Lyss up in new clothes with Beth, I've played around with my little Sly Boy nephiew (and his new baby brother will probably be arriving tomorrow!!), and I got to spend Tuesday exercising my right to vote and watching the results come in.

I just need to say how excited I am about what happened yesterday! While I wasn't totally invested in Obama or McCain in the beginning, I did have my preference, and I didn't realize until least night around six o'clock how much I wanted Obama to win. The more I thought about what the future of this country could be, the more sure I was that he's the one to get us where I hope we'll be by the time I have my own kids.

I, like most people, I think, was glued to CNN from 7 o'clock until midnight, and the whole thing was both facinating and excilerating. Just to know that people all over our country are standing up for their beliefs, and that WE MATTER because our government is OF THE PEOPLE. Now, I know there are some people out there who will say that votes don't count, or that there are people in Washington who are throwing out ballots by the handful in order to further their own agenda, and to that I can only say "I don't believe it." And also, as Athena Currier says in her blog, "don't give me none of that shit."

Cliche as it is, today I am proud to be an American. I have never felt that way, ever in my life. I feel like I can go to Scotland next semester and not have to be sorry for the crazy things my government is doing, because WE THE PEOPLE desire to right wrongs and fix our mistakes. That feels GREAT!

I wasn't here last night when everyone heard the news, but my roommate tells me that there were people running up and down the halls shouting the results, excited and happy. There were people outside doing cartwheels. It feels like even though we may not have voted for the same people, we can finally stand UNITED in our desire for change. No matter what changes may come to us, or that we may effect ourselves, I have a newfound trust in the democratic process in our country, and I believe that we will speak up and be heard, and we will work together to do the right thing.

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.”

“This is our time to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one."

No comments: